Monday, June 7, 2010

Asparagus and Cheese Pizza

This is an asparagus pizza.  I can vouch for its deliciousness because it's sitting happily in my belly, even though the dough and I got in a big fight.  All is well now.  We worked it out.  I'll give you the recipe in a minute, but since I've enticed you here with pictures of golden melted cheese , I figure I'd like to say a few things.

The first is THANK YOU!  When Allison and I started writing Butter + Cream back in January, we didn't know what to expect.  The experience has been beyond rewarding, and we're looking forward to writing the site for a long time.  Thanks for your emails, comments, tweets, and ideas.  You rule the school. 

We've talked a lot and we agree that it's time to mix things up a bit.  We'll still be bringing you our favorites from the kitchen, but frankly, there are plenty of times that I get a great dish on the table, and I don't have step-by-step photos to show for it.  We've decided to deprive you no longer.  From now on, not every recipe posted on the site will have step-by-step photos.  We'll still do it as often as we can, especially when we try out a new technique, but this way you can count on more posts, more food, and even getting to know your bloggers a bit more.


For instance, you should know that I bought new cloth napkins this weekend.  I've been a bit out of sorts, and I think it has to do with being engaged.  Don't worry, I don't have cold feet and I'm not about to go runaway bride or anything.  I just think that marriage is one of the ultimate forms of adulthood, and adults eat dinner at tables, and keep their clothing in dressers.  I, on the other hand, have been eating dinner most nights on the couch in front of a reality tv show, and keeping my jeans and t-shirts in the plastic sterilite containers that seemed like a great idea when I lived in my sorority house.  Lucky for me, my parents visited, and they brought furniture (one of the perks of having a contractor for a stepdad is that his clients sometimes give him their leftovers when they remodel.  One man's trash is this blonde girl's treasure!).  My mom and I hit up the Pottery Barn outlet in Lake Elsinore, and I'm now the proud owner of a big girl dresser, a colorful set of cloth napkins, some gorgeous blue and white dishes, and a faux orchid (forchid?).   A little sprucing up around the house is just what my soul needed.
Although not everyone is as fond of change as I am...

And now, some pizza.  John grabbed this cookbook off the clearance shelf at Barnes and Noble, and when he said the words "grilled asparagus pizza", it was a done deal.  The authors of the book would be appalled to hear this, but I didn't actually grill the pizza.  I baked it in the oven on a pizza stone.  If you want to take your Monday night dinner to another level, set a table, grab some flowers, and turn off the TV.  It may be just the reset that you need. 

Grilled Asparagus and Cheese Pizza with White Truffle Oil
Adapted from Modern Grilling

1/2 lb thick asparagus spears
Extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
Pizza dough (it was a Monday night so I bought mine at Trader Joe's.  If you want to make your own, here's our favorite recipe)
2 tablespoon freshly grated Romano cheese
8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
3 oz crumbled goat cheese
1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
1 teaspoon Italian flat-leaf parsley
White truffle oil
1 ounce shaved Parmagiano-Reggiano cheese

Preheat grill (or a cast iron grill pan) to high.  Preheat oven to 450F with a pizza stone.

Holding each asparagus spear in both hands, snap the spear in half; the spear should break at the natural place where the tough end meets the tender top.  Rinse spears and pat dry.  Place spears on a platter, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle generously with salt and black pepper.

Grill spears until tender, turning periodically, about 10 minutes.  Remove and let cool.  When cool enough to handle, slice in half lengthwise and set aside.  Stretch dough to a thin rectangle.  Top with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of salt, followed by the cheeses, asparagus, and herbs.  Place on a hot pizza stone in the oven, and bake until cheese is melted and starting to brown, about 15 minutes.  Remove and let rest for 5 minutes.  Drizzle with truffle oil, sprinkle with shaved fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano.

9 comments:

  1. I love asparagus on pizza...especially with goat cheese! And truffle oil...omg I that stuff is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very yummy. I ran into your blog on google and everything here looks great. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy wow. I cannot wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, this pizza ruled. And I do have to agree with Mary that our place looks and feels nicer with a few minor touches of adulthood. I mean, we're in our mid-to-late 20s. I guess we should pretend to be grown-ups, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the upgrades! I need to start making more pizza, the boy would be trés appreciative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE asparagus, and LOOOOVE pizza! I haven't put them together before, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks amazing, and I just saw a tab for asparagus and morel quiche???? Oh dear god, I love you guys!!!

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner?
    www.MaWhats4Dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am all about some homemade pizza, there's nothing like it. And this one looks so good! I'm definitely going to try it.

    P.S Trader Joe's rocks at pizza dough.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I dig the change -- the more posts, the merrier! You and Allison are just as fun to read about as food ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails